“Serving the Local Community”
The Grosvenor Chapel is situated in South Audley Street in the heart of Mayfair and has served the local community since 1730.
We serve by:
- Making connections and building relationships between the different constituent elements of Mayfair to try to build a sense of local community. For example, the Chapel is a member of the Mayfair Neighbourhood Forum, has been instrumental in connecting the School to the Forum. Throughout the year we organise community events bringing together different groups within our community.
- Supporting St George’s School: Historically it was our congregation that raised the funds to build the school. Today the Chapel supports the spiritual life of the school. Weekly assemblies are held here and so our big school events such as “Speech Day”. In addition, we try to integrate the school into local community events held in the Chapel.
- An Outreach Programme to help the more isolated and vulnerable members of the Mayfair community: monthly coffee mornings; “Hymns and Pimms”, a singing and social event for people living with dementia and their carers; from this September, “Themed Community Meals”, in collaboration with the West End Community Trust, bringing together local groups, residents and organisations to produce a series of cross cultural evenings.
- Accompany people in their joys – the gift of a child, marriage – and in their sorrows – the death of a loved one.
- Sharing our Chapel facilities with others – the church, back rooms and garden – are used for concerts and music recitals, often for charitable causes, educational classes, meetings and receptions.
- Providing a peaceful and prayerful space to which many people come daily for a moment of quiet and reflection.
- Treasuring our local history: the Duke of Wellington, Florence Nightingale the founder of modern medicine and John Wilkes, political and social reformer, the poet Sir John Betjeman and writer Rose Macaulay are amongst those who have worshipped here.
The Chapel is wholly self-supporting, receiving no public or central funds. We need to raise funds both to support the maintenance of this beautiful 18th century building as a space for the local community and to support our outreach programme to the local community.
Lis Hasted, Chapel Community and Events Officer
Grosvenor Chapel, 24 South Audley Street, W1K 2PA